5% of the profits from this product is donated to support Threatened & Endangered Species.
“Swallow-tailed Kite (Elanoides forficatus)" is part of the Threatened Texas series and is an of original artwork by me, Juliet Whitsett. To create this image I sampled colors from images of threatened species and created original art inspired by the unique limited palette.
SPECIES INFORMATION PROVIDED BY: Keith A. Arnold, Ornithologist, Professor Emeritus, Texas A&M University
"The American Swallow-tailed Kite ranges throughout much of South America through Middle America into southeastern United and western Mississippi river valley. These birds were extirpated in the early20 th century from the Gulf coastal plains and from the western Mississippi river forests. No explanation has been accepted for the contract of the northern breeding areas, but human activity and habitat loss seem likely. In the 1970s, an active nest was discovered in southeast Texas. Since then, these birds have reoccupied much of their former range. Migrants begin arriving in early March, while these birds leave for their winter homes beginning in early August. Whether in migration or foraging in family groups, these graceful aerial flyers are often chasing their flying insect prey. Given the continuing expansion ofthese kites in Texas, their future looks bright."
In order to be as environmentally conscious as possible, all orders are professionally printed to order. While most orders ship quickly, please allow a minimum of 7-10 days after an order is made to ship. If you need something quickly, please message me at: email@example.com - I'll do my best to get it to you as soon as possible!
- Dimensions: 5” x 5" include a 5.25 x 5.25" kraft paper envelope. (This size may require additional postage).
- All cards are printed locally in Austin, Texas on sustainable paper.
- Color may appear slightly different on monitor than in person.
- All work copyrighted © by Juliet Whitsett and the artist retains rights to all images.
Larger or smaller prints can often be made to order. Check out THIS page for more information.
- It's true, I sometimes reuse boxes, backing, packing material and envelopes! I choose to think of it as professional & an eco-conscious choice.
- All shipping envelopes and boxes are chosen with both the safe transport of your item(s) and its environmental impact in mind. Responsibly harvested papers, recycled, recyclable and reusable materials are used as much as possible.
For more information on this species, visit my BLOG POST
***For more products (tees etc.), please visit my Redbubble site*** HERE