5% of the profits from this product is donated to support MONARCH JOINT VENTURE.
“Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus)” is part of the Threatened Texas series and is an original artwork by me, Juliet Whitsett. To create this image I sampled colors from images of threatened species and created original art inspired by the unique limited palette.
SPECIES INFORMATION PROVIDED BY: Wendy Caldwell Executive Director, Monarch Joint Venture
"One of North America’s most astounding insects, the charismatic monarch butterfly accomplishes an annual, multi-generational, long distance migration. Reliant on milkweed as the sole food source for its caterpillars, the adult finds nourishment in the nectar of many flowering plants. Spring and summer breeding monarchs are widespread across North America, from grasslands to roadsides to gardens. Millions of butterflies that emerge in the fall take part in an extraordinary migration, landing in the oyamel fir forests of central Mexico or coastal California overwintering groves. People across the continent have come together to protect this beloved butterfly and the many other organisms that share its habitat. Drastic population declines threaten the monarch migration to the extent that the species is currently a Candidate Species under the U.S. Endangered Species Act and migratory monarchs have been added to the IUCN Red List."
The Monarch (Danaus plexippus) is not officially Texas state listed- though the federal listing decision is pending... It couldn't happen soon enough- I've read that the eastern monarch numbers have declined by more than 80% over the past two decades. These numbers are startling- the monarch is a species that needs all hands on deck.
In order to be as environmentally conscious as possible, all orders are professionally printed to order. While most orders ship quickly, please allow a minimum of 7-10 days after an order is made to ship. If you need something quickly, please message me at: firstname.lastname@example.org - I'll do my best to get it to you as soon as possible!
- Dimensions: 5” x 5" include a 5.25 x 5.25" kraft paper envelope. (This size may require additional postage).
- All cards are printed locally in Austin, Texas on sustainable paper.
- Color may appear slightly different on monitor than in person.
- All work copyrighted © by Juliet Whitsett and the artist retains rights to all images.
OTHER SIZES & ARCHIVAL PRINTS:
Larger or smaller prints can often be made to order. Check out THIS page for more information.
- It's true, I sometimes reuse boxes, backing, packing material and envelopes! I choose to think of it as professional & an eco-conscious choice.
- All shipping envelopes and boxes are chosen with both the safe transport of your item(s) and its environmental impact in mind. Responsibly harvested papers, recycled, recyclable and reusable materials are used as much as possible.
For more information on how you can help this species, visit this organization https://monarchjointventure.org/
***For more products (tees etc.), please visit my Redbubble site*** HERE